SA Premier Dance program offers participants a chance to learn dance technique styles in ballet, tap and a hip-hop/jazz fusion. Athletes should be interested in learning dance at a higher level, as well as developing routines for final performances. Learn more about scholarships here.
A dance-specific coach will offer techniques for participants to learn movements and work towards a final performance. Athletes do not need to be completely ambulatory, but must be able to independently move their arms with task modification, if necessary. Wheelchair dance is an option for individuals able to independently propel their wheelchairs for the duration of class and performances.
- Athlete may have a physical or intellectual disability
- Successful tryout or recommendation by staff
- Possess the skill and desire to compete at a higher level
- Must be able to comprehend and retain rules and skills, and then build upon them from week to week
- 1:1 support is not provided, so must be able to train, compete, function in a group setting and follow the coach’s directions without volunteer assistance
- Athletes will train with the goal of participating in competitions in and/or out of San Antonio
- Athlete should have an understanding of spatial awareness and be able to control their movements in class for safety
- Able to learn and remember new terminology and steps each week in various dance styles